Will a Fitness Mobile App Inspire You to Work Out?
Technology appears poised to shape the ways we train. Here are some statistics from the IDEA Fitness Magazine, October 2014:
- Current trends indicate that 8 million smart bands, used to monitor fitness, could ship out in 2014, and a target of 23 million bands by 2015.
- Nearly one third of all smartphone users downloaded apps from fitness and health sites in January 2014. That’s about 46 million individuals using these apps.
- Diet and fitness apps were used by 55.7 million Americans in 2013, up from 43.9 million users in 2012.
- During just one research trial, overweight participants who used smartphones to journal food intake lost three times as much weight, as those who used paper diaries. A weekly text did updated app users on progress.
- One in ten Americans now owns an activity tracker.
Fitness apps can be a game-changer for you if you need some motivation, enjoy tracking your progress and efforts, or simply love the idea of combining technology with your exercise (and dieting) efforts.
-Amy Hendel, PA/HealthCoach