Welcome New Coordinators
From June 25th until July 20th, 29 new HealthCorps coordinators gathered 12 hours a day, five days a week, preparing furiously for the fall. The coordinators, who have recently graduated from colleges and universities across the country, met at Sacramento Charter High School to spend their days in trainings, cooking classes, meditation and community service, all so that they could hit the ground running the first day of school.
Here were some highlights from training:
- Over the past four weeks, Coordinators attended weekly teacher training sessions with Miyilyn Para-Innocent, a New York City Special Education teacher. Ms. Para-Innocent has joined us for the past three summers to give Coordinators lessons on classroom management, differentiating instruction, individual learning styles, and how their students may make the most of the HealthCorps lessons in their schools.
- Coordinators also attended daily Nutrition training with our new Educational Program Manager, Colleen Luna. Ms. Luna taught the ins and outs of nutrition and how to make nutrition relatable to high school students.
- Coordinators taught daily in summer school classes at Sacramento Charter HS. Getting experience teaching in live classrooms gave them the tools they needed to teach in their own schools across the country.
- Coordinators organized a “Summer Olympics” themed health fair during lunch to gain experience running an event at a school.
- Coordinators worked and ran a mobile food distribution with the Sacramento Food Bank, gaining experience working in the community and doing nutrition education for community members.
There are 29 new Coordinators in this year’s class. Here is the breakdown of where they will be this fall:
- 12 in California
- 4 in New York City
- 2 in Arizona
- 2 in D.C.
- 2 in Delaware
- 2 in North Carolina
- 1 in Maryland
- 1 in New Jersey
- 1 in Ohio
- 1 in Oklahoma
- 1 in Oregon
We look forward to this new school year and wish the Coordinators the best of luck!
- Hayley Moretz – Desert View High School, Tuscon, AZ
- Chantal Pilon – Tuscon High Magnet School, Tuscon, AZ
- Annette Slonim – Cabrillo High School, Long Beach, CA
- Evelyn Rodriguez – Cathedral City High School, Cathedral City, CA
- Rocio Jacobo – Desert Hot Springs High School, Desert Hot Springs, CA
- Hector Luis Sanchez – Desert Mirage High School, Thermal, CA
- Isa Del Signore Dresser – Luther Burbank Hgih School, Sacramento, CA
- Rachel Sabes – Sacramento, CA
- Ruby Hoose – Palm Springs High School, Palm Springs, CA
- Chrissy Knopp – Sacramento Charter High School, Sacramento, CA
- Felipe Valencia – Shafter High School, Shafter, CA
- Sara Blaise Huddleston –Valley High School, Santa Ana, CA
- Emily Dee Grant – Fresno, CA
- Julia Nelson – Fresno, CA
- Jessica Thomas – Washington Mathematics, Science and Technology Public Charter High School, Washington D.C.
- Micheline Tocco – Woodrow Wilson High School, Washington D.C.
- Brooke Ostahowski – Laureal High School, Laurel, DE
- Morgan Dorsey – Thomas McKean High School, Wilmington, DE
- Alica Diehl – Patterson High School, Baltimore, MD
- Jessica Plager – Cliffside Park High School, Cliffside Park, NJ
- Arielle Feldshon –Edward A. Reynolds West Side High School, New York, NY
- Carlos Nugent – George Washington High School, New York, NY
- Caroline Herion – University Heights High School, Bronx, NY
- Leah Katsos – Wings Academy, Bronx, NY
- K’Shelle Waller – Charlotte, NC
- Madeleine Dick-Godfrey – Charlotte, NC
- Jasmyne Jackson – Ginn Academy, Cleveland, OH
- Ryan Fightmaster – ASTEC High School, Oklahoma City, OK
- Kellie Cook – Cleveland High School, Portland, OR