Walnut Energy Bars as a Yummy School Snack
With a preparation time of ten minutes and a cooking time of 20 minutes you can make a batch of delicious walnut energy bars that offer 4 grams of protein and 2 grams of fiber, for about 127 calories per bar. Store the extras in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Non-stick cooking spray
1 cup quick cooking rolled oats
1/2 cup raw unsalted sunflower seeds
1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
1/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup dried apricots
1/2 cup raw California walnuts
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup pitted dried dates
1/2 cup powdered nonfat dry milk
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/3 cup pure maple syrup
2 large eggs
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat a 9 by 13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Place all ingredients except the syrup and eggs in a food processor and pulse until the mixture is finely chopped.
- Add the syrup and eggs and pulse until the mixture is well combined. It will resemble a coarse paste.
- Transfer to the baking pan and spread evenly. Bake until just done, about 20 minutes.
- Cut into 20 squares. Store in airtight container in the refrigerator
And for more yummy walnut recipes, check out: http://www.walnuts.org