Try Volume to Diet Successfully
The following snacks have 100 calories:
- About 12 jellybeans
- A small handful of raisins
- A cluster of about 15 – 20 grapes
- A cut up apple
- A good sized bowl of cherry tomatoes (about 20)
Get where I’m going?? As a dieter or someone who wants to sustain a lifestyle makeover, the key may be to finding foods that have “volume,” which means water and fiber content, so they (a) take time to eat (b) fill you up and satisfy you. This is not complicated science – its healthy sensible eating – and if you fill your meal and snack time with these kinds of foods, the benefits will include:
- A longer meal, which will make you feel satisfied
- Satiation because of water volume, and fiber
- The health benefits of vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients associated with these kinds of food choices.
That’s why filling your plate with 50% fruits and vegetables, 25% protein and 25% whole grains (or starchy vegetables) is a good rule to follow.