Trends at the Food and Nutrition Expo
It’s a yearly conference and Expo with over 10,000 attendees, mostly dieticians, and the FNCE Expo Hall showcases several hundred food and dietary products. Food sampling, cooking demonstrations, and results from newly released studies are just some of the experiences at the Expo Hall.
This year’s trends included:
- Gluten-free products, which suggests that this trend is continuing to grow.
- Cereal companies like General Mills boosting whole grain content in cereals
- Chocolate products with flavanol (compounds associated with certain health benefits) activity preserved – Mars and Hershey’s had products in this category
- Nutrition bars that showcase a “cleaner” ingredient list
- Lower sodium levels in prepared foods
- Treats made with new “natural” sweeteners like monk fruit
- Health initiatives like PepsiCo P.L.A.Y. that stands for “protein-liquid-activity-you,” and targets women’s needs for more protein in their daily diet, more time to exercise, and making themselves a priority.
- Hunger versus obesity – the ongoing paradox in America that has rates of obesity running parallel to food insecurity
- Appropriate food portions, and what does moderation mean