Since its founding in 2003, HealthCorps’ mission has been eliminating health inequity in at-risk communities by educating and empowering students to make healthy lifestyle choices for themselves and their families.
HealthCorps continues to provide educational programming in the time of COVID, which itself is disproportionately effecting the physical and mental health of communities of color. HealthCorps strives to provide students with the resources and opportunities to be happy and healthy, and this is why our Program Resources are free to access and are available in both English and Spanish.
In the United States today, Black Americans make up roughly 13% of the population, but represent only 5% of doctors. So, HealthCorps has teamed up with The Dr. Oz Show to announce the Diversity in Medicine Scholarship Award to inspire future doctors in underrepresented communities. This $10,000 scholarship will be awarded to a college or medical student who shows a deep passion for medicine and working toward solving inequity in their community.
Students must meeting the following criteria:
- Be 18 year of age or older;
- Self-identify as Black or African American;
- Be enrolled in an accredited four year undergraduate university or medical school program;
- Exhibit a commitment to service and health of underrepresented communities;
- Exhibit a desire to tackle health inequities;
- Exemplify a dedication to pursue a career in the field of medicine despite adversities.
Learn more & join our conversation by using #DiversityInMedicine and #MoreBlackDoctors.