Stay Safe In The Sun This Summer
If your summer exercise includes gardening activities, then you may be at risk for a sun burn, or be more likely to suffer from allergies (skin or respiratory), so follow these outdoor activity precautions:
- Apply sunblock head to toe. If you have sensitive skin, look for mineral- based creams that use titanium dioxide.
- Wear light colored clothing to reflect the sun’s rays (you can now also add sunblock (SPF) protection to your clothes in the wash cycle)
- Wear a hat and gloves
- Create shaded areas whenever possible while working the garden
- Wear wrap -around sunglasses to protect your eyes
- Re-apply sunblock to exposed areas per frequency directions on the container
- Make sure to remove all clothing right as you enter your home and bag them
- Wash face and hands with mild soap to remove all allergens
- If you do suffer with a cough or runny nose after gardening, you might consider wearing a light face mask to reduce respiratory exposure.
If you develop persistent skin irritations or respiratory symptoms you should consult with a health professional.