Skip traditional cheese and make cashew cheese instead
Candace Kumai is a well-known chef, influencer, author, food writer and host of Lifetime’s Cook Yourself Thin, and TLC’s Homemade Simple. As one of HealthCorps’ Ambassadors and partner chefs, she is a valued resource for “all things yummy, healthy and light.” If you are looking for a novel swap out to traditional ricotta cheese for a lasagna, or for a topping on baked crackers or even soup, try her delicious cashew cheese.
Homemade Cashew Cheese
“My delicious alternative for ricotta cheese is here! Full of flavor and no dairy allowed! This cashew cheese takes a soak and a blend to make! Cashews are full of natural copper which may help with beautiful, shiny hair! Calcium in cashews helps with strong bones and a beautiful smile!”
(Makes 1 ½ cups)
- 2 cups cashews, soaked in hot water for a minimum of 1 hour, or overnight
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2-4 tablespoons water (as needed)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Strain the cashews after soaking in hot water for 1-3 hours (or overnight). Place all ingredients into high-speed blender or food processor and puree until smooth.
- Using a spatula remove and store in an airtight container or jar for up to two weeks.
For other healthy and light recipes and more information on Candace Kumai, check out: http://www.candicekumai.com/about/