Shout Out to Athletes – How Much Protein?
Just how much protein do you need as an athlete?
Well, it depends on the level of athlete you are, and your workout intensity and duration:
Endurance athletes need 1.2-1.4 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight
Strength and power athletes need between 1.2 -1.7 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight.
For recreational athletes, some new recommendations suggest 1.1 – 1.4 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight.
Serious marathon runners should consume 1.2 – 2.0 grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight
Serious weight lifters should consume 1.4 – 2 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight
Here’s a list of some common protein-rich foods and their protein content:
- Salmon 4 ounces = 29 grams of protein
- Lentils, 1 cup = 18 grams of protein
- Large egg (1) = 6 grams of protein
- Tofu, firm, 3.5 ounces = 7 grams of protein
- Greek yogurt, 5 ounces = 14 grams of protein
- Kashi GoLean cereal , 1 cup = 13 grams of protein
- Skim milk, 8 ounces = 8 grams of protein
It’s important to spread your protein over three meals and possibly some snacks. Remember to choose a variety of proteins and to avoid overly processed sources.