Quick Swap Outs and a Yummy Recipe
Here are some quick swap outs to reduce your sugar load:
- Instead of licorice enjoy blueberries
- Instead of mashed potatoes try mashed cauliflower
- Instead of pasta try spaghetti squash
Mini-frittatas for Breakfast
- 2-3 lean turkey or soy sausages
- 5 egg whites
- 2 medium size eggs
- ¼ cup skim milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup chopped spinach
- Optional: diced scallions or red pepper
- ¼ cup shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
- A muffin tin
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease muffin tin with baking spray.
- Brown sausages in a skillet, and once a bit cool, cut into ½ inch slices.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk eggs and egg whites, adding skim milk, salt and pepper.
- Add in chopped spinach (and scallions and peppers).
- Pour evenly into muffin tin slots.
- Drop sausage pieces and cheese into each.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 20 minutes, or until the centers are firm. You can also test the center with a toothpick.
Serve warm. Leftovers can be refrigerated for up to 3 days, and re-warmed in microwave.
-Amy Hendel, PA/HealthCoach