Oranges Stuffed with Cous Cous
You may typically stuff peppers with tuna or grains, but here’s a twist – stuffing oranges! This recipe from Dole Foods will help you to nail your daily quota of fruits and vegetables. Keep the orange sections to enjoy separately, or to garnish the plates.
- 1 (10 oz.) box couscous
- 4 oranges, tops removed, hollowed out (retain pulp)
- 1 medium red onion, cut into small pieces
- 1 tomato, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 package (6 oz.) DOLE® Butter Bliss, torn into 1-inch pieces
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Prepare couscous according to package directions. Squeeze juice from the orange pulp into the couscous; set aside. Discard pulp.
- In a large bowl, mix together the remaining ingredients, including the DOLE Butter Bliss lettuce. Toss in the couscous. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Stuff the salad into the hollowed oranges.
Chef Tip: Pump up the flavor even more by adding 3 tablespoons of your favorite low fat Italian dressing to the mix before stuffing. If you’re onion-shy, use just half of the red onion, plus 1 green onion as a substitute.