The New Dirty Dozen from EWG
Environmental Working Group (EWG) a research and advocacy non-profit, has called out certain food ingredients, identifying them as the Dirty Dozen of Food Additives, based on current studies and theories. The original Dirty Dozen identifies 12 fruits and vegetables that have higher levels of pesticide residue.
The EWG designation of worrisome food additives includes:
- Nitrites and nitrates
- Potassium bromate
- Propyl paraben
- Propyl gallate
- Secret flavor ingredients
- Artificial colors
- Phosphate-based additives
- Aluminum-based additives
The group feels that “not all additives are of concern,” but that this list is a good place to start if you are a consumer that eats or feeds their family processed foods on a regular basis. Read food labels carefully and search for these additives.
Berry Fruit Dessert with Chocolate Chips and Nuts
- Take one cup each of:
- Strawberries (halved)
- ¾ cup of chopped walnut pieces
- Dark mini chocolate chips
- Toss berries gently in a bowl and then separate into 4 dessert bowls.
- Top each with a tablespoon of walnuts and a teaspoon of dark mini chocolate chips.
- Optional – Top with a scoop of Greek Yogurt and a light drizzle of honey.
-Amy Hendel, PA/HealthCoach