Marrying avocadoes with grapefruit
Avocados are high in calories but they are also bursting with nutrients and heart-healthy fats. Though traditionally associated with guacamole, they are a wonderful addition to salads. This salad recipe combines the tartness of grapefruits with the creamy taste of avocadoes.
Avocado, grapefruit and blueberry salad
- 1 avocado peeled, pitted and cubed
- 1 ruby star grapefruit, peeled and sectioned
- ¼ cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup romaine leaves or Boston lettuce, torn and shredded
- ½ cup cilantro leaves
- ¼ cup mint leaves, gently torn
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- Squeeze of lime juice
- Dressing: balsamic vinegar/olive oil/1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Mix all the ingredients except walnuts/lime juice and toss well. Squeeze lime over tossed salad and sprinkle with crushed walnuts.