Liking Your Reflection
Self-esteem can be defined as how much you value, respect and feel confident about yourself. Having high or low self-esteem can have a significant impact on your health and your life.
When you have high self-esteem you feel good about yourself. People with high self-esteem have the courage to try new things. Also, those with high self-esteem
- feel proud of what they can do.
- believe in themselves, even if they don’t succeed at first.
- see their own good qualities, such as being kind or capable.
- feel liked, loved, and respected.
- accept themselves, even when they make mistakes.
Having a High Self-Esteem
Why is having a good or high self-esteem important?
With self-esteem, you believe in yourself. You have the courage to try new things. You believe good things can and will happen to you.
You can build your self-esteem with a few simple steps. Building your self-esteem begins with trying your best at whatever you are doing. Trying your best allows you to feel good about yourself, which builds your self-esteem. In addition, you can:
- Practice the things you do well. Think of ways you can practice some of the things you’re good at every day. Your mom or dad can help you plan a way to keep practicing your skills and talents.
- Turn “I can’t” into “I can!” Instead of thinking that you aren’t any good at something, or can’t do something, start believing that you can. Decide to think “I can give it a try,” “I can handle this,” “I’ll give it my best,” or “I’ll ask someone to help me do this.”
- Spend time with people who love you. Find time to do enjoyable or relaxing things with your parents or family. It helps you know you belong.
- Pitch in to help others. Do nice things for friends, and family. Pitching in by doing kind, helpful things helps you feel good about yourself. It helps you realize that what you do makes a difference.
There are ways to increase one’s self esteem. If you think you have low self-esteem, talk to someone like a parent, teacher, counselor, or clergy. Sometimes that is very difficult, but it can only help.