Not Just for the Paleo Diet
One of the hottest diets of 2014 was the Paleo Diet, and it’s still trending strong. It did not actually rank high on the 2015 U.S. News and World Report Diet Review for several reasons, but there is a best-kept-secret recipe that’s actually been around for quite some time, that’s been trending strong thanks to this diet’s popularity.
Baked Eggs in Avocado
- 2 ripe avocados
- 4 eggs
- ½ teaspoon of smoked paprika or 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- Black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees
- Slice each avocado in half, and remove the center pit with a knife.
- Scoop out a bit of the avocado from the center of each of the 4 halves – so the egg will fit.
- Crack an egg gently into the center of each avocado half (a trick is to try and let the yolk slide in first, and then let the rest of the egg white fill in).
- You can also choose to just use egg whites or to use one egg yolk plus one egg white in each half avocado, to help limit the saturated fat.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in the oven, allowing the egg white to set.
- Remove and sprinkle with the smoked paprika or the chives, and pepper to taste.
- Serve with salad or fruit salad.
Recipe provides 2 – 4 servings
-Amy Hendel, PA/HealthCoach