The incredible edible egg
You can enjoy one full egg daily, and then use egg whites to create a delicious and personalized omelet. Eggs offer quality protein with few calories. Think bold when adding in those extra ingredients. Eggs pair beautifully with so many ingredients – vegetables, smoked fish, cheeses (preferably low fat), exotic spices, even chia seeds. An omelet can be breakfast, lunch or dinner. Some quick tips:
- Beat egg whites till foamy.
- If you are using one egg plus egg whites, remember that adding a small amount of milk will also help to fluff up your omelet.
- A medium size egg has about 70 calories, and companies now also offer eggs fortified with omega-3 fatty acids.
- Consider using either a non-stick pan or a cooking spray to limit additional fat calories.
Here’s a delicious egg omelet recipe from Rocco DiSpirito. The key to this recipe is using a small amount of light cheese and a pungent seasoning.
- 1/4 cup boxed egg whites
- Olive oil spray
- 2 tbsp low-fat or skim-based cheese
- 2 tbsp store-bought pico de gallo
- Cilantro for garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
Measure out ¼ cup egg whites, fresh or poured from a container. Beat with a whisk until foamy. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
Spray a microwave-safe ramekin with olive oil. Pour the egg white mixture into the ramekin and cook in the microwave for 1 minute.
Cover the egg whites with 2 tablespoons of low-fat cheese and put in the microwave for another 30 seconds.
Top the cheesy eggs with a heaping tablespoon of pico de gallo to add spice, and torn pieces of cilantro.