If I want to workout at home, what are the basic items I need?
It is possible to get an excellent workout in the comfort of your home, as long as you have a cleared area large enough for some movement. Of course, pushing furniture out of the way is a good fitness effort too!! Pulling out and then putting away all the equipment you use can add some warm up and cool down efforts to the exercise experience!!
Consider buying the following:
- A jump rope
- A step
- Several sets of free weights (light, medium and heavy)
- One or two elastic bands (some have handles, some come in figure 8 style and different thicknesses signal different levels of resistance)
- Weighted balls which can be easier to use, in some exercises
- A large inflated ball called a stability ball (they come in two sizes). Choose the larger sized one if a man over 6 ft will be using it.
- Optional – a heart rate monitor (you can also just take a pulse periodically)
You can tune into a TV fitness program, download videos, buy DVDs or just construct your own upper and lower body workout. Remember to include intervals of aerobic exercise for a complete workout that includes weight training, aerobic training and then abdominal crunches for your core.