Hills of Africa Donates Trip of a Lifetime to the Savory Garden Gala
When discerning travelers look for a special adventure, Hills of Africa Travel delivers. With destinations that include: South Africa, Botswana, Namibia, Kenya, Mozambique, Tanzania, Uganda, among others, this multi-million dollar company can provide the vacation experience of a lifetime. With the highest level of luxury, and precise attention to detail, a trip with Hills of Africa Travel is guaranteed to create special memories that will remain with clients for the rest of their lives.
Hills of Africa Travel is built on the foundation of five core principals, which include impeccable customer service, first-class tourism services, giving back to the community, sustainable tourism, and wildlife conservation. Together, these five principals define the philosophy behind Hills of Africa Travel. Founder and President Sandy Salle, was born in Zimbabwe, and moved to the United States in her 20s. She quickly recognized that most people in the world have never experienced the spirit of Africa. She also realized that she had a driving desire to change the lives of the people and wildlife of Africa, for the better. She created the company Hills of Africa in order to accomplish both goals.
Sandy has graciously donated an “Africa experience” as one of the featured Savory Garden Gala online auction items. This special auction item will also be featured during the Gala Festival of Health Reception. I recently had a chance to ask Sandy about her company, the donation, and her new relationship with HealthCorps. Here is the “Guest Blog” she shared:
Q: How did you get involved in African safaris?
Africa is always in my dreams. It has been a part of me since I was born in Zimbabwe and I am forever grateful for its presence. After all, my love for Africa is what prompted me to start Hills of Africa Travel more than 10 years ago.
After moving to the United States in my 20s, I came to the sobering realization that most people in this world have never actually experienced the spirit of Africa, and it was my duty to share it with them. I was determined to share this fruit of the world with others in hopes that Africa could positively change their lives just as it did for me.
But it wasn’t just the lives of travelers that I wanted to help transform for the better, I was also driven to change the lives of the people and wildlife of Africa. And so, in 2002, I founded Hills of Africa Travel in the hopes of changing lives, one journey at a time.
Q: Is there something unique about a trip to Africa (in terms of connecting with the land, the culture, the animals?)
Africa has the unique ability to open our eyes to a new perspective on life and encourage us to make positive changes in our daily lives. So, rather than constantly wanting to escape from our daily lives, we constantly strive to enhance our lives by feeding ourselves with the riches of travel and culture and ultimately ending up with a life well lived.
Below are just a few elements that make Africa unique:
- Nowhere else on earth can you witness the Big Five in their natural habitats, which include lion, leopard, rhino, elephant, and Cape buffalo.
- The cultures of Africa are unique to the continent and can be found nowhere else on earth. Interacting with these local cultures is one of the most enriching and rewarding experiences one could have.
- With virtually no cell phone coverage and limited Internet access, Africa’s natural spaces encourage travelers to break away from the chains of technology and actually experience life, in the moment. The lack of technology encourages conversation and observation.
- Busy schedules, poor diets (often due to lack of time to make nutritious meals), and lack of exercise can often lead to health issues over time. Hiking, biking, and nature walks, are all fantastic ways to stimulate physical activity and there are plenty of natural spaces in Africa to enjoy these activities!
- Stress is relative. Adults might experience stress at work but children also experience stress—just in a different way. For example, children might experience stress in their social circle, the classroom, when trying to decide their path in life, and more. Family travel to natural spaces enables all members to take a step back and analyze the stressful situations in their lives in a new light so that stress can be reduced.
Q: What is your special approach to creating an experience in Africa for travelers?
Hills of Africa Travel is built on the foundation of five core principals, which include impeccable customer service, first-class tourism services, giving back to the community, sustainable tourism, and wildlife conservation. Together, these five principals define the philosophy behind Hills of Africa Travel.
We utilize all five principals in every trip that we book to ensure clients receive an experience that goes above and beyond their expectations.
It’s also important to note that each of the trips that we plan are 100% customized. Each traveler has unique preferences, needs, and desires, and we design tailored trips that fit those exact needs.
Q: What types of travelers book your trips?
Travelers who are looking to experience the trip of a lifetime and who are looking to expand their horizons through travel. Because our trips are high-end travel experiences, clients who book with us are looking for exemplary service, exceptional accommodations, and top-notch safari activities.
Q: How did you find out about HealthCorps?
I found out about HealthCorps through a friend of mine who works for HealthCorp: Cindy Sisson Hensley.
Q: What made you decide to donate a trip to the Gala fundraiser?
We absolutely love what HealthCorps is doing to help inspire young adults and teens to make healthier lifestyle choices and we want to support this mission by donating a trip to the Gala Fundraiser. We hope this contribution will lend a hand to the HealthCorps mission!
About Sandy Salle:
A native of Zimbabwe, Sandy was born and raised in southern Africa and was fortunate to travel to many places in the southern part of the continent. While she is now happily an American citizen, she does miss Africa—the smell of the first rains, the beautiful sunsets, and the magic of the people. Believing the next best thing to living in Africa is sharing it with others, in 2002, Sandy founded Hills of Africa travel. Sandy is Hills of Africa’s personal escort and takes great pride in giving her clients the once-in-a-lifetime, magical African experience they’ll remember forever.