General Tso’s Cauliflower
Need a healthy version of your favorite chinese takeout dish?
Try this fresh take on your classic General Tso’s recipe with the General Tso’s cauliflower.
For more recipes , visit our blog!
General Tso's Cauliflower
By: Daphne Oz
- 1 head cauliflower (cut into florets)
- 1 1/2 cups rice flour
- 3 eggs whites (lightly beaten)
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat panko
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon ginger (peeled and minced)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1/2 lime (juiced)
- 2 teaspoons sriracha (substitute with hot sauce or chili flakes to taste)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- sesame seeds (for garnish)
- scallions (thinly sliced, for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Separate flour, egg whites and whole wheat panko breadcrumbs into three separate baking dishes. Season each with Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Dip cauliflower florets in flour, shaking off excess, dip into egg whites and finally dip into panko breadcrumbs, coating completely. Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown and tender.
- For the Sauce: in a small saucepan, add the oil and place over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute, until fragrant. Add the soy sauce, chicken stock, rice vinegar, lime juice, sriracha and honey. Mix to combine and bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Drizzle over the baked cauliflower. Garnish with sesame seeds and scallions.
– Make the sauce ahead of time!
– Use the same recipe with your favorite protein or vegetable!