Consumers Prefer Homemade for Breakfast
A recent Datassential analysis revealed that American consumers prefer homemade breakfasts over ready-to-eat options. Yes, Americans are willing to make their first meal of the day, according to this new survey.
Of consumers who eat breakfast at home, 65% prefer to make or assemble the meal from scratch, while only 17% prefer refrigerated or pre-packaged breakfast food. Even fewer people, 9%, prefer heating frozen foods for breakfast.
What foods are consumers choosing to prepare?
Popular choices include breakfast sandwiches, bacon, sausage, yogurt, oatmeal, fruit, pancakes, bagels, among other choices.
If you’re motivated to prepare a healthy breakfast, consider:
- A yogurt parfait with berries, nuts and high fiber cereal
- An open face sandwich with 100% whole grain toast, hummus and grilled vegetables
- Eggs and/or egg whites with sautéed vegetables and soy bacon
- Oatmeal with bananas and sunflower seeds
- Half a small cantaloupe with low fat cottage cheese, cinnamon and walnuts
- A whole grain waffle with peanut butter (or other nut butter spread) and strawberries
- A low carb tortilla with mashed avocado, beans, and tomato slice
-Amy Hendel, PA/HealthCoach