Black Eyed Pea Salad
2 cans (15.5 oz) of fresh black-eyed peas
1 large tomato chopped
1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
Half red onion, diced
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 tbls chopped fresh parsley
3 tbls balsamic vinegar
2 tbls olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium bowl, toss together black-eyed peas, tomato, red bell pepper, green bell pepper, red onion, celery, and parsley
- In a small bowl, mix balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Taste, then season with salt and pepper. Toss over vegetables. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 8 hours
- Use seasonal vegetables, for example carrots instead of tomatoes in winter. Substitute cilantro, basil, or any herb for the parsley, or leave it out.
- Use green onion for milder flavor than red or add garlic for extra kick.
- Spice up the salad with a dash of hot sauce or cayenne pepper.