2012 Shape of the Nation Report
The Shape of the Nation Report reviews the current rates of obesity, and the variables affecting the health of our nation’s kids.
In the U.S.:
- 14% of students did not meet the recommended 60 minutes of physical activity on any given day of the week before the survey was done.
- 48% of students did not attend any PE classes at school in an average week
- 71% of students were physically active for 60 minutes but not regularly during the 7 day period before the survey was taken
- 32% of students watched 3 or more hours of TV on school days
- 31% of kids used computers for 3 or more hours on an average school day
The entire report is available here.
Another sector in the U.S. struggling with obesity statistics is the military. A recent report suggests that first time applicants, as well as a significant number of active military personnel, did not meet current military weight or physical activity standards.