HealthCorps is Delivering Measurable Results Across America.
HealthCorps’ research shows how we deliver results:
1. Decreased Soda Consumption
2. Increased Physical Activity leading to Weight Loss
3. Increased Knowledge and Retention Rates
4. Increased Daily Water Consumption
5. Increased Daily Vegetable Consumption
6. Increased Sleep
7. Increased Learning and Performance
8. Increased Overall Performance and Well-being
1. Decreased Soda Consumption: AFFINITY Study
Declined 0.6 sodas per week or 13%
2. Increased Physical Activity & Knowledge of Healthy Behaviors: AFFINITY Study
Physical Activity +36%
Health Knowledge +11%
3. Weight Loss: Benson High School- HealthCorps and FIT2LIVE&LEARN
Average loss of 5 lbs. and 1% body fat in 8 months
4. Increased Water Consumption
• 18% increase over national average attributable to a 6% decrease-substitution of water for soda in our students.
Distribution of Daily Beverage Consumption in HealthCorps Schools vs. National Average
5. Increased Vegetable Consumption
6 % increase in HC vs. 4% decrease by control group during the same period.
The Change in “Number of Servings of vegetables Eaten Yesterday” over School Year
6. Increased Sleep: Desert Healthcare District Study
By the end of the school year, our students had only decreased their adequate sleep (8+hours per night) by 13.7% as opposed to their peers who had a decrease of 31.5%.
Percentage of student getting at least 8 hours sleep every day at start and end of school year
7. Increased Performance: Teen Battle Chef
HealthCorps students participating in our cooking program:
• Scored significantly higher on their SATs than their peers: reading (14%); math (9.2%); and writing (22%) than their peers.
• Attended 9 days more of school than their peers.
8. Overall Improvement: HealthCorps-CA Dept of Public Health-UC Davis Study
Students reported the program had a positive impact on:
• Their sense of self-control 71%
• Their overall mental health 69%
• Their self-esteem or self-confidence 64%
• An improvement in their general health from pre to post intervention
• Weighing less than they did at the time of the pre-survey
• An improvement in public speaking
Learning in Unexpected Places: Active Alliance
At HealthCorps sponsored sports team events students reported:
• Learning as much about resilience and nutrition (53%) as physical activity (47%) from professional athletes.
• Learning what they considered practical life lessons through the resilience stories of professional athletes.
• Improving their understanding of mental health, nutrition and exercise and their ability to translate that into tangible changes in their lives.
• Favoring messages pertaining to nutrition over those pertaining to exercise.
“HealthCorps has positively impacted our campus culture in a variety of ways. Students and staff are much more aware of the importance of wellness in their lives. Being an urban, low-income high school the need for our students to understand how their health impacts their lives is absolutely essential. HealthCorps has filled a very obvious hole in our system and is changing the lives of our kids.”- Tim Liles, Principal, Sunnyside High School, Fresno, CA
“I have enjoyed the HealthCorps Curriculum that Betsy Reedy has brought to our campus. Personally I am a lot more conscious of my food choices both at school and at home. Her “toilet tidings” are always informative and thought provoking and fun. Through the staff competition I have finally reached a goal of losing 12 pounds to keep my BMI at a much better level for my age. I have enjoyed the variety of exercise opportunities such as Zumba and yoga, which is made more fun by having both students and staff participating. I have noticed a lot of students who are making more thoughtful choices, especially when it comes to exercise, and I am hopeful that this program is going to help make some long term changes for a lot of our students and their families.” - Carol Germano, Science Teacher & Mentor Teacher, Anderson New Technology High School, Anderson, CA
“HealthCorps University engages students in a new and exciting way. The changes that I’ve seen in students’ wellness choices and knowledge, such as eating healthy, have been amazing. In addition, more teachers are thinking about ways to integrate health education into their classes regardless of the subject they teach. HCU programming truly transforms students, staff and schools. I’m proud to be a part of HealthCorps University.” - Heather Deckard, Physical Education Coordinator, Sacramento Unified School District, Sacramento, CA
“As an organization whose mission is to provide our students with the very best public education possible, we realize that we must focus on the whole child with health and wellness at the forefront. A child who is not in good health because of poor nutritional or fitness habits and practices cannot learn at an optimal level. Over the past two years, through the Living Labs program, the HealthCorps coordinators at three of our high schools have made an extremely positive impact on our high school students. Through the classroom curriculum the coordinators delivered, as well as several afterschool nutrition and physical fitness-related activities and clubs, they have truly made a difference.”- Dr. Christine Anderson, Superintendent, Palm Springs Unified School District
District of Columbia:
“Washington Mathematics Science Technology Public Charter High School’s relationship with HealthCorps is an extremely valuable partnership that has provided our students with much needed information about the important role that health plays in their lives. The “Peer Mentoring” and the “Living Labs” programs, implemented by our great HealthCorps Coordinator, give students “hands on” experiences and inspire them to adopt more healthy habits such as eating well and exercising more. In addition, students are provided with an exposure to various health and culinary arts careers. We truly appreciate all of the fantastic benefits that HealthCorps has brought to our students.” - Dr. N’Deye Diagne, Head of School, Washington Math Science Technology Public Charter High School, Washington, D.C.
“HealthCorps has encouraged my students and teachers to take a more in-depth look into healthy living. They have been exposed to foods that they would have otherwise thought to be tasteless” – Dr. Kemp, Clarksdale High School, Clarksdale, MS
“HealthCorps at Astec Charter Schools is so proud to have this great program. It really is life-transforming for young people and their families (and teachers).” - Freda Deskin, CEO and Founder of ASTEC Public Schools, Oklahoma City, OK
“HealthCorps teaches our students to make healthier decisions and increase healthy habits by teaching classes and running positive after school programming”- Renel Piton, Principal, Brooklyn Lab School, Brooklyn, NY
“Our partnership with Healthcorps has been a key factor in the transformation of Sharpstown High School. Caring for the whole child is possible when the resources, mindset and focus starts with ensuring that ‘wellness’ opportunities are afforded to all students, families and community. Our continuous improvement would not have occurred so quickly if we did not have the caring mindset provided by Healthcorps leadership and on-site staff. Turn around school efforts start when students feel good about themselves and the school they attend. Leadership opportunities for the planning, implementation and participation in so many health, leadership, service activities have completely changed the culture and mindset of our students around good decisions and healthy living. Thanks you Healthcorps for your leadership and support!” - Rob Gasparello, Principal, Sharpstown High School, Houston, TX